Making a FOIA Request
You can make a FOIA Request either online through the FOIA Request Form, by e-mail, by fax, or by mail.
If you chose to e-mail or fax your request, please include the following information:
- Today's date
- Name (first and last name)
- Address (street, city, state and zip)
- Phone number
- Fax number (if available)
- Electronic mail address (if available)
- Finally, describe in detail the records requested. Please provide as much information as you have available to you such as, audit report number, investigation report number, program area, etc.
If you wish to include attachments with your request, please send your request via e-mail.
Submit a FOIA request by:
Email - Send Requests to FOIASTAFF@oig.usda.gov
Fax - 202-690-6305
USDA Office of Inspector General Room
441-E Jamie Whitten Bldg - Legal Staff
1400 Independence Avenue SW
Washington, DC 20250-2308
FOIA Service Center
FOIA Public Liaison
Additional Guidance for Making a FOIA Request About Yourself
In order to protect the privacy of individuals who request information about themselves, the requester must provide either a notarized statement or a statement signed under the penalty of perjury, declaring that the requester is actually the person they claim to be. Original signatures are required.
Model Form: Declaration (pdf)
OIG will not process requests from individuals seeking information about themselves if this requirement is not met. This helps OIG ensure that private information about any individual is not improperly disclosed to third parties.
OIG maintains its reading room electronically on this website. Frequently requested documents are linked to below, while other publicly available OIG documents--such as OIG reports--are available via the Reports menu above.
As required by 5 U.S.C. § 552(a)(2)(D), regarding the posting of releasable documents that have been frequently requested, the following reports are hereby provided:
- Bad Newz Kennels - OIG Report of Investigation (PDF, 12.4 MB)
- Cramer Fire - OIG Report of Investigation (PDF, 3.9 MB)
- Cramer Fire - OIG Report to the Secretary and Congress (PDF, 2.1 MB)
- Soybean Letter to Senator Grassley (PDF, 1.9 MB)
- Phoebe Creek Recreational Site - OIG Report of Investigation (PDF, 3.5 MB)
- U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Office of Inspector General (OIG) Background on OIG Investigations Authority and Firearms Procurement (PDF, 424 KB)
- Report of Investigation - SF-2434-0118 - Rancho Veal Corporation (PDF, 393 KB)
- OIG Log of FOIA requests received from FY 2015 through April 30, 2018 (PDF, 7.3 MB)
- Assessment of the State of Oversight Work in the Area of Sexual Harassment and Misconduct in the Federal Government (PDF, 2.1 MB)
- OIG’s annual FOIA data may be found in the USDA's comprehensive annual FOIA report on USDA’s webpage.
- 2007 Annual OIG Report (PDF)
- 2006 Annual OIG Report (PDF)
- 2005 Annual OIG Report (PDF)
- 2004 Annual OIG Report (PDF)
- 2003 Annual OIG Report (PDF)
- 2002 Annual OIG Report (PDF)
- 2001 Annual OIG Report (PDF)
- 2000 Annual OIG Report (PDF)